Two movies that I have always enjoyed are The Karate Kid and Boogie Nights and each features a song that plays well into recruiting when it comes to your social media presence.
“Your the Best” (one of the best songs off of any soundtrack in the 80s)
“You Got the Touch” (also featured in the 1986 Transformers movie)
When people look at your LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and other profiles do they think ‘your the best’ and ‘have the touch’ (I know, I know – corny right) OR do they think you are a complete loser?
Here are some things to think about when it comes to all three to make sure you don’t fall into the latter:
- Actually have an account
- Say something more than once a month
- Have a profile picture
- Work to develop a following (5 followers is not enough)
- Join into a conversation DON’T JUST POST JOBS!!!!!!!!!
- Again, actually have an account or a fan page or SOMETHING!
- Have good content on it that is interesting, funny, worthwhile, and thought provoking.
- Again, don’t just post jobs!
- Make sure you have your profile 100% complete
- Make sure you create a vanity URL
- Work towards getting 500 connections so that your profile shows 500+ – recruiters are supposed to know people and if all you have is 100 connections it wouldn’t give me very much confidence in you
- Contribute to group discussions and answer questions (DON’T JUST POST JOBS!!)
- Have something interesting for visitors to look at and read (a blog, shared document, etc)
What say you – is looking important and like you have your stuff together important on the social media sites? Look forward to your thoughts and comments!
Until next time – good hunting and good luck!